Category Archives: Maintenance

Day 12 – Thanks For The Memories

Our final morning on Oliver, and yet again, Toby was happy to stay in bed! After wiping the bird mess off the front cratch cover, we set off just after 9am for the short hop back to Weltonfield Marina.

Apart from the locks, Toby and I have been no further than 60ft apart all holiday.

We arrived back at 10am for a pump out – time to cross our legs or use the onsite loo from now on!

We couldn’t resist taking a photo of this lovely little boat in the marina called Toby – it’s just had a fit out and the owner is proud as punch and keen to show it off.

We needed to get Oliver ship shape for sale, it’s times like this when you wish you owned a shorter boat! The mooring is really handy as the bank is at the water level, so we were able to reach the low bits. We washed the roof, and the side of Oliver.

Toby’s favourite job and cleaning the water tank at the bow of the boat! Luckily we have a water pump to drain the tank, and Toby did some rust busting, tomorrow Toby will paint the inside with a rust protector – it gives you an idea of the size of the tank.

I was on painting duty, and blacking the side of the boat. It’s where all the bumps and scrapes are, so a nice shiny side makes all the difference.

We’ve had six wonderful years with Oliver, travelling around the canal and river network, and making the most wonderful memories. We couldn’t have done it without our network of family, colleagues and friends old and new – thank you.

Oliver has been a safe haven during tough times and a place for celebration during the good times. I’ll miss the whistling kettle, the care free days in the sunshine, and most of all the endless hours spent at the stern with Toby.

This is post number 341, the last with Oliver. Here’s to new adventures in 2021 and new blog posts……

The new toilet

The new tank is now in, along with all the new pipework and the monitoring system.

The control panel was expertly cut out by Barry with help from Sarah, and just looks like it’s always belonged there. We now have a tank monitor along with the flush controls so we know when we need to empty – always handy!

Toilet monitor

Here’s the other end of the tank-monitor – lots of wires and fiddly cutting of the sensors to the right depths, but nothing we couldn’t handle 🙂

Tank guage fitted
Tank guage fitted

The pipe work is mostly fitted just using rubber grommets to make a seal, but for one connection the plastic needs welding together – I was a bit nervous about this as the thought of any leaks wasn’t a pleasant one, but luckily all went well!

Solvent welding the pipework
Solvent welding the pipework

And finally the tank and all the connections were done – hooray!

All plumbed in
All plumbed in

Toilet woes come to a head

The toilet has been showing signs of its age so we finally decided to bite the bullet and replace both it and the tank. At the same time it seems a good opportunity to fit a working tank monitor gauge.

Yesterday we got the old tank out, and today we tidied up a bit and investigated where to put the new monitor panel.

Here’s the view under the bed where the tank goes


and here’s the new tank, in place but not fitted or connected yet.


There’s not a lot of room to spare at the head of the bed, but should be enough for the pipework.