Last night the wind became a lot stronger and we started moving on and off the harbour wall with an irregular but persistent banging that would waken anyone. At 2:45 we put the larger rubber fenders in to no avail so at 3 am we were up again and the larger wheelbarrow tyres came into play. Thank goodness they did the job perfectly and we were able to get back to sleep.
In the morning Toby bravely phoned the Marina office to make sure that they sold cards that could be used for the pumpout at Galgate. They did so he walked round and bought two. Just after he returned Colin and Jane set off and we made a quick decision and joined them for the locks back to the top of the Glasson Branch. This required lots of power and a fairly sharp angle across the harbour to counter the strong wind. The waves were worse than than the little ones we encountered on the Ribble.
Toby was on the helm today and Peter and Romy on lock duty. Romy got plenty of exercise walking between all the locks. She behaved herself today and kept her feet firmly on the ground.
Toby demonstrated his consummate helming skills in making a lovely turn from the Glasson Branch into the Lancaster Canal.
We stopped and filled up with water at the first water point while we had lunch and then motored up to Galgate. The self service pumpout was very convenient and easy to use. Fuel was available at £1.15 per litre.
It was another dry day with quite a lot of sunshine but a cold wind that was really noticeable when we were out of the sun.
We moored in a very pleasant spot just before Bridge 90 where there was a reasonable depth of water. Efforts to moor further back came to naught as the water at the edges was too shallow inspire of this being shown as good mooring in the guide.
Toby then set about the next part of the engine service. Everything was completed except for the removal of that dastardly diesel filter. Peter phoned Beta Marine and chatted with Wayne who was most helpful. He sent a couple of videos and even removed a filter from one of their new engines. He told us that this was not easy and he had to use a belt even with the filter bracket held in a vice in their workshop. Further efforts (ensuring that we were trying to undo it in the correct direction!) still failed to shift it. Another new tool has been ordered.